Here are some tips for adults who don’t usually have children in their home.
- Keep all products in original containers.
- Keep ashtrays empty and out of the reach of children (better yet, don’t allow smoking in or around your home).
- Keep alcoholic beverages out of the reach of children.
- Program the number for poison control in your cell phone and post it in your house — 1-800-222-1222.
- Move cleaning products from under the sink to upper shelves.
- If grandchildren will be spending a significant amount of time in your home, consider installing cabinet locks.
- Remove medicines including vitamins from countertops, windowsills and open areas.
- Store all household products away from food items.
- Keep all medicines, cosmetics, perfumes, mouthwashes, etc., out of sight and reach of children- or lock them up!
- Move drain and toilet bowl cleaners, etc., from under the sink to upper shelves.
- Dispose of outdated medications appropriately.
- Remove medicines from dresser or bedside table.
- Keep perfumes, nail polish removers and powders out of reach of children.
- Know the names of the plants in your home. Keep them out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep all bleaches, soap, and detergents, out of reach of children.
- If you use detergent packets, be sure they are stored out of reach.
- Keep insect sprays, weed killers and fertilizers in locked storage.
- Keep turpentine, paints, antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, rust removers, and motor oils in locked storage.
- Keep products in their original container with original labels.