Poison control centers across the country receive an average of one call every minute because a child has gotten into medicine. Use these tips to help keep your kids safe and call us right away if your child gets into medicine.
- Store all prescription and OTC medicines, vitamins and supplements up and away and out of sight and reach every time.
- Keep medicine in its original child-resistant packaging.
- Practice safe storage of medicine as soon as your first child is born, don’t wait until they’re mobile
- Put the Poison Help number – 1-800-222-1222 – into your phone and post it visibly at home.
- Instead of keeping medicine handy, use safe reminder tools to help you remember when to take and give doses.
- Set alarms on your watch or cell phone.
- Write a note to yourself and leave it somewhere you look often.
- Combine taking daily medicines with a daily task, like brushing your teeth.
- Use a medication schedule to make sure the right amount of medicine is given at the right time.