Whether you’re giving medication at home before school or sending it to school with your child, follow these tips to help keep everyone safe.
- Find out your school district policies before sending medication to school.
- If your child will need to be given medication at school, be sure to provide a list of all medications along with dosage and schedule.
- Talk to your children about never sharing their own or taking anyone else’s medicine, including things like inhalers.
- Always keep medications in their original container and never mix different medications into one container.
- If your child takes daily medication at home, consider using a whiteboard or sticker chart to indicate that the medication has been given in order to prevent accidental overdoses.
- Teach teenagers to only take the recommended amount of over-the-counter and prescription medications. And to only take prescription medication if it’s prescribed for them.